The USMS Adult Learn-to-Swim instructor certification program curriculum is based on teaching methods practiced by leading adult learn-to-swim authorities. It incorporates the most innovative and effective training methods and gives certified instructors the tools to teach adults to swim, at a minimum, one length of a 25-yard pool and become safer in the water.
This one-day course, with classroom and in-water instruction, is taught throughout the country by USMS-certified lead ALTS instructors. At the conclusion of the course, successful candidates will receive USMS-ALTS instructor certification.
To become a USMS-certified ALTS instructor, you must:
- Be a member of USMS
- Attend the USMS ALTS instructor certification course
- Successfully complete the end-of-course tests
The cost for certification is $300 per instructor and includes both classroom and pool instruction, all course materials, and the USMS-certified Adult Learn-to-Swim Instructor designation for the remainder of the calendar year in which certification was achieved.
The New England LMSC offers a $50 reimbursement for NE-LMSC participants who successfully complete this course.
USMS-Certified ALTS Instructor Designation
Once you become a certified ALTS instructor, we recommend that you renew the ALTS designation for each registration year, at the cost of $30.* This will ensure that you continue to receive the recognition and opportunities designed for our professional ALTS instructors. These include:
- Name and certification listed at usms.org on the USMS-Certified ALTS Instructors page
- Opportunity to be included in our publicly searchable database, so clients can find you
- Special sponsor partner discounts
- One-on-one support from USMS’s education services department
- STREAMLINES for ALTS Instructors quarterly eNewsletter
- Invitation to our ALTS Facebook page, where instructors can network and ask questions
- Discounts on USMS continuing-education courses
- Education and resources necessary to teach adults to learn to swim and become safer in water, including lesson plans, lesson templates, and marketing resources