USMS ALTS Instructor Certification
The USMS Adult Learn-to-Swim Instructor Certification Program curriculum is based on teaching methods practiced by the leading authorities of ALTS programs nationwide. The most innovative and effective training methods are taught to ensure that certified instructors have the tools necessary to teach an adult to swim, at a minimum, one length of a 25-yard pool and become safer in the water.
Who should attend?
- Anyone interested in teaching adults how to swim
- Staff members and instructors at aquatics facilities that want to offer an adult learn-to-swim program
- ALTS Instructor Certification FAQ
- Current USMS membership required
- You must be able to perform the American Red Cross' Five Skills of Water Competency:
- Step or jump into the water over your head
- Return to the surface and float or tread water for one minute
- Turn around in a full circle and find an exit
- Swim 25 yards to the exit
- Exit the pool without the use of a ladder
- $300 (Includes all classroom and in-water instruction, materials, and lunch)
Check-in: 8-8:30 a.m.
Classroom instruction: 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Lunch: 1 p.m. (included)
Pool instruction: 2-4 p.m.
- Bill Meier, Aquatics Director for Bard College at Simon's Rock
The New England LMSC will provide up to 15 separate $100 subsidies for NELMSC members who become ALTS certified and intend to teach adult swim lessons. These subsidies are need-based, contingent upon attendance, and will be handled as reimbursements after the course. For more information or to request reimbursement, contact NELMSC board member Bill Meier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
79 Coddington Street
Quincy, MA 02169
1000 Marriott Drive
Quincy, MA 02169