Board of Directors
The New England Local Masters Swimming Committee (NE LMSC) is a volunteer-run, non-profit subsidiary of United States Masters Swimming (USMS) that serves as the regional governing body for USMS-registered clubs, workout groups, coaches and swimmers in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. It is responsible for enforcing USMS policies and procedures, processing event sanctions and club and member registrations, overseeing officiating, and administering other such functions within New England.
The NE LMSC Board of Directors is comprised of Officers, who are elected by the membership at the annual membership meeting, and Club Representatives, who are appointed by the club's principal officer. Each board member is allowed one vote regardless of how many offices s/he holds.
Each registered club with at least five (5) affiliated USMS members is entitled to one voting Club Representative board seat and one additional seat if the club has 1000 or more members. A club with fewer than five members may appoint a Club Rep who will be non-voting until the club reaches five members. All Club Reps must be affiliated in their USMS member record with the Club they represent.
Our LMSC seeks to make Masters Swimming opportunities available to all New England adults regardless of physical ability. To that end, we are the first LMSC in the country to add a Para-Athlete Chair to our board.
(click name to email)
Awards & Recognition Chair
Pool Sanctions Chair
Open Water Sanctions Chair
Top Ten (SCY)
Top Ten (SCM, LCM)
At-Large Director (Fitness Chair)
Life Time Swim New England (LTNE)
The following USMS LMSC volunteer role description templates include descriptions of each LMSC position's purpose, key responsibilities and deliverables, recommended attributes and training, and the benefits of the position to the volunteer and to USMS. Please note that specific NE LMSC responsibilities may vary from these USMS templates. Notable variances are described parenthetically below.
- Vice Chair
- Secretary (In the NE LMSC, the Secretary's responsibilities are narrower than in the USMS template position description in that general communications with the LMSC membership are usually handled by the Communications Chair.)
- Communications Chair
- Top Ten Recorder (The NE LMSC currently has two such positions, one for SCY and one for LCM & SCM)
- Sanctions Chair (This NE LMSC position is currently for pool meets only. Open-water sanctions and questions are processed by the Open Water Chair.)
- Coaches Chair
- Officials Chair
- Open Water Chair (Promotes safe open-water swimming, advocates for and facilitates USMS-sanctioned OW events, and reviews and processes all OW sanction applications and USMS event calendar requests.)
- Awards & Recognition Chair
- Para-Athletes Chair (This position shall advocate for para-athletes in the NE LMSC, promote Masters Swimming as a fitness option for para-athletes, and help sensitize coaches, officials and swimmers to the needs of para-athletes.)
- Fitness Chair (This position is not listed as an elected officer in the NE LMSC bylaws, but current At-Large Officer Bill Meier has assumed certain aspects of this role.)
At the board's discretion, two “At Large” officers may be elected in the same manner as the other officers and shall be assigned duties by the chair with the advice and consent of the board.